Vietnam is a beautiful and exotic country, full of history and culture. If you’re thinking of visiting, it’s important to know how much a trip to Vietnam will cost. In this article, we’ll break down the costs of transportation, food, lodging and sightseeing. The cost of a trip to Vietnam can vary depending on your travel style, so be sure to read carefully!
photo: Tri Vo
- How much does a trip to Vietnam cost, on average
- What are some of the factors that influence the cost of a trip to Vietnam
- How can you save money while traveling in Vietnam
- What are some common expenses travelers incur while in Vietnam
- What is the best way to budget for a trip to Vietnam
- Sample budgets for different types of trips to Vietnam
How much does a trip to Vietnam cost, on average
The cost of a trip to Vietnam can vary depending on your travel style, but here is a general overview of what you can expect in 2022. Airfare from the US to Vietnam is increasing every year, so the average cost of a trip to Vietnam is expected to be around $2,000. This includes all transportation, food, lodging and sightseeing expenses. However, it is possible to visit Vietnam for much less if you are willing to rough it a bit. You can save money by eating local food, staying in hostels or guest houses and avoiding tourist traps.
It is also important to note that the cost of a trip to Vietnam can vary depending on the season. The high season runs from November to April, while the low season runs from May to October. Prices during the high season are generally higher than during the low season.
What are some of the factors that influence the cost of a trip to Vietnam
There are many factors that can influence the cost of a trip to Vietnam, including:
- The type of trip you are taking
- The length of your stay
- The time of year you are traveling
- How far in advance you book your flights and accommodations
- Whether you are flying or driving to Vietnam
- The type of transportation you use while in Vietnam
- The level of comfort you desire
- Whether you are traveling solo or with others
- How much sightseeing you plan to do
- Whether you are able to speak Vietnamese or not
How can you save money while traveling in Vietnam
photo: Văn Long Bùi
There are many ways to save money while traveling in Vietnam, including:
- Eating local food instead of Western food
- Staying in hostels or guest houses instead of hotels
- Avoiding tourist traps and spending your money on authentic experiences
- Renting motorbikes or bicycles instead of hiring taxis or drivers
- Booking your flights and accommodations well in advance
- Taking advantage of free walking tours offered by most cities
- Purchasing souvenirs at local markets instead of at tourist shops
- Negotiating prices for services before agreeing to them
- Traveling during the low season
- Bringing your own Vietnamese SIM card to use for data and calling
What are some common expenses travelers incur while in Vietnam
Some common expenses travelers incur while in Vietnam include:
- Airfare – The cost of a round-trip ticket from the US to Vietnam can range from $1,200-$3,000 depending on the season.
- Transportation – The cost of transportation in Vietnam varies depending on the mode of transportation you use. Taxi fares are relatively cheap, starting at around $0.50 per kilometer. You can also rent motorbikes or bicycles for around $5-$7 per day.
- Food – The cost of food in Vietnam is very cheap, especially if you eat local food. A meal at a street stall can cost as little as $1-$2, while a meal at a sit-down restaurant will cost around $5-$10.
- Lodging – The cost of lodging in Vietnam also varies depending on your travel style. A room in a hostel or guest house will cost around $10-$20 per night, while a hotel room will cost around $30-$50 per night.
- Sightseeing – The cost of sightseeing in Vietnam can range from free to $100, depending on the activity. Many of the country’s museums and temples have a small entrance fee, while activities like hiking, biking and kayaking can cost around $20-$30.
What is the best way to budget for a trip to Vietnam
photo: Tuan Nguyen
There are a few ways to budget for a trip to Vietnam, including:
- Determine your travel style – Are you looking for a luxurious or budget-friendly trip?
- Consider the time of year you want to travel – High season rates will be more expensive than low season rates.
- Book your flights and accommodations in advance – This will help you get the best deals.
- Decide how much sightseeing you want to do – Activities like hiking and biking can be cheaper than tourist traps.
- Familiarize yourself with the currency – The Vietnamese dong is the official currency of Vietnam.
- Get travel insurance – This will protect you in case of emergency.
- Create a budget – Make sure to include all of your anticipated expenses.
- Stick to your budget – Once you have a budget, make sure to stick to it.
Sample budgets for different types of trips to Vietnam
Including airfare costs, the average cost of different types of trips to Vietnam are as follows:
- Budget trip – $3,000 per person
- Mid-range trip – $5,000-$10,000 per person
- Luxury trip – $10,000+ per person
Traveling to Vietnam can be an affordable and rewarding experience if you are willing to do a bit of research and plan ahead. By considering the cost of airfare, transportation, food, lodging and sightseeing, you can create a budget that will fit your travel style. There are many ways to save money while in Vietnam, so there is no need to break the bank. Have fun and enjoy your trip!