How has the economy...

How has the economy been since 2020?  

VINAMI
1,713 lotus-flower
(@vinami)

I know a lot of countries are WAY worse off since COVID-19. I know where I am, thinks are only getting more and more expensive and it sucks. How has Vietnam been through all this?

Book Your Dream Vacation in Vietnam

AD Travala – Get the Best Prices on 34,986 Hotels and Accommodations in Vietnam
7 Replies
Larsay
 Larsay
(@Larsay)

Very simple; the excellent government, which has understood 30 years ago that happy citizens do not revolt and keep electing the same politicians, took the necessary strong measures, including, in February 2020, a one-month complete quarantine and then, for nearly 2 years, mask mandatory; you could enter NO place without it ! Prices did not go up for a very simple reason; suppliers and vendors knew that most people can pay only so much and easily live with very little. .

2 Replies
Jack
 Jack
(@Jack)

@Larsay Are you from Vietnam? I think the inflation in Vietnam isn't as high as other countries. I heard it is around 3% but in the US and other Western countries it's like 7-10%. It's getting difficult where I live. I'm considering moving to Vietnam.

Larsay
 Larsay
(@Larsay)

@Jack

I am not "from Vietnam", but I live in Hanoi since 16 years. 

2022 inflation around 5% and, unbelievable but true, the average 2015-2002 is 1.78%

Jack
 Jack
(@Jack)

I think it's been pretty hard, honestly. There's so much uncertainty in the economy right now, and people are worried about their jobs and their future.

I think the thing that scares me the most is how much more expensive everything has become. Everything seems to cost double what it did before 2020. I don't know how people are making ends meet these days. I know I can't!

HaiTay
1,680 lotus-flower
(@haitay)

There has been job loss and businesses that have downsized or closed down like other places around the world. The inflation in Vietnam was not as bad as other countries. I think the only ones that came out of this virtually unchanged are places that did not do the lockdowns or mandates. See Sweden, Haiti, Africa, etc. 

1 Reply
AskAboutME
(@askaboutme)

1,708 lotus-flower

@haitayI looked into this and you seem to be right. They have faced challenges but thanks to their preparedness and their government putting their people first, they are in much better shape than most other countries. 

Larsay
 Larsay
(@Larsay)

They do not SEEM to be right, they are since it is government AND foreign statistics !!!!

More from vpopwire