Vietnam expects 100...

Vietnam expects 100 millionth citizen in April  

vietzone
2,324 lotus-flower
(@vietzone)

Vietnam is expecting to welcome its 100 millionth citizen next month, making it the third country in Southeast Asia to reach this milestone after Indonesia and the Philippines. The country's population has more than tripled since reunification in 1975, but it's expected to start declining by 2050 due to a low birth rate. The government has been promoting policies to encourage childbirth, but they have not been successful so far. The 100 millionth citizen will be celebrated with a nationwide campaign, and they will receive a cash prize and other benefits from the government. The government hopes that this milestone will inspire citizens to have more children and help reverse the declining birth rate.

https://twitter.com/VietnamNewsVNS/status/1635127933651099654

Book Your Dream Vacation in Vietnam

AD Travala – Get the Best Prices on 34,986 Hotels and Accommodations in Vietnam
7 Replies
VINAMI
1,713 lotus-flower
(@vinami)

So many countries are facing decline because fewer people are choosing to have children. The US, Canada, Australia, the UK, Germany, Japan... there are so many! 

BiN22
 BiN22
(@BiN22)

I didn't realize Vietnam's population was getting so big. It's definitely a good thing that the country has been able to support that kind of growth.

DeLaCruz
 DeLaCruz
(@DeLaCruz)

I wonder if this increase in population will put a strain on Vietnam's resources and infrastructure. It'll be important for the government to plan ahead to ensure the country can accommodate everyone.

1 Reply
HaiTay
(@haitay)

1,680 lotus-flower

@DeLaCruz I doubt it. They are already able to see there will be a massive decline in another 35 years. They need to prepare more for that I would think. 

Larsay
 Larsay
(@Larsay)

The problem is that you have 100 million people on 331 000 square km, with, in addition, 80% mountains. 2 rice crops a year in the two deltas (Red River and Mekong), one everywhere else. If it continues at that rate, feeding all the people is going to be a huge problem.

readysetgo
2,461 lotus-flower
(@readysetgo)

I think it is incredible to have this level of growth but it is troubling to see so many nations not having children. It will get to a point where there just won't be enough workers to actually sustain everything. 

TrueBaby
2,461 lotus-flower
(@truebaby)

They know a decline is coming so I wonder if this will cause other problems. I know people in the US, Japan, and many other nations have sited that this would be bad for the economy moving forward. They say without enough workers, the systems in place cannot sustain themselves. 

More from vpopwire